Sunday, July 28, 2013

Why no posts for almost two weeks? What is up with that?

Well, we are in the full summer swing now with 4-5 cruise ships almost daily.

Last Saturday I was able to do a tour on one of the other whale watching tours with a company called Gastineau Guiding where they do both whale watching and hiking.  I was able to see two glaciers fogged in, breaching humpback calf, black bear cubs and more...

Eagle Glacier

Herbert Glacier

Man and the Sea

Breaching Humpback calf with

a perfect 10 for the landing!

Sitka Spruce with rain.

Mama black bear with cubs

they were looking for something for lunch.

However the Salmon were not running yet.

Then, we had Allen Marine Naturalists Rob and Alli over for supper Saturday night.

Gwen and I met these two great folks while traveling through Canada earlier this spring.  We happened upon them in Prince George, BC.  After a few minutes of talking we found that they were headed to work for Allen Marine, also!  We have had many great times with them since.

Over that weekend Gwen came down with a bad cold and was off of work for two days.  Monday night I had to go get some Chicken soup and crackers.  Then the sun came out and I had to stop and visit Gastineau wetlands with the Fireweed.  With the sun and blue sky it was amazing.

Does anyone see the T-Rex in the cloud?

Then I had to work a 12+ hour day on Tuesday.  So on the way back in for my late Check-in I had to stop just a few hundred yards down the road from the Fireweed and get the double rainbow over Gastineau Channel.

Wednesday, my first Mother-in-law was up in Juneau for a cruise.  We were assigned the departures for her ship that day.  We sent her out on the Allen Marine Tracy Arm tours.  When she came back, Gwen and I were able to take her out to Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center.

 While there, we were able to see the Sockeye Salmon starting to make the run upstream for spawning.

Shortly after, we saw that the Black Bear had found out that the Salmon were spawning as well.

This Porcupine was not to concerned about the activity.  It was fast asleep in the tree.

This little guy was hungry, he did not even stop to smile for this picture.

After watching all the wildlife eat we took Velma out for a nice Waffle at the Southeast Waffle Company here in Juneau.  We had a good time visiting and it was good to see her again.

Thursday we had late Check-in's again so we took our supper out to Sheep Creek where the Chum Salmon were still running up stream to the waterfall.

Friday night we just crashed, as by this time, Gwen had passed her cold on to me.  Yesterday we had to get up at 5:30am to be ready for 3 departures on the Disney Wonder.  By 8:00am we had sent off about 550 people. Then naps were in order.

Today (Sunday) it is a beautiful sunny day with clear blue skies.  We are headed out for an Evening Whale Quest.  Just something to get us out on the water and have a relaxing evening.  Hope that you all have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment